SEN books for children
This year, there are several alternative format titles available from Booktime, for children in England who may benefit from a more accessible title to add to their Booktime book pack. We invite teachers and practitioners to request an alternative format book for a child with visual or hearing impairments, or complex needs that may mean story-based picture books like the Booktime titles are less accessible and enjoyable to them.
The titles available on request from Booktime are:
- The Tale of a Naughty Little Rabbit (Warne) - this year's Booktime story book in large print.
- The Tale of a Naughty Little Rabbit (Warne) - this year's Booktime story book in Braille.
- Tinga Tinga Tales: Why Elephant has a Trunk (Puffin) - large print.
- Tinga Tinga Tales: Why Elephant has a Trunk (Puffin) - Braille.
- Whose Nose? (Ladybird) – simple, rhyming text and giant flaps to lift on each page.
- This Little Monster (Ladybird) – simple, rhyming text with lots of different texture to feel.
- Old MacDonald's Farm (Ladybird) - sing-along rhyming text with actions for joining in.
Some notes on eligibility
These books are only available to children who are receiving their Booktime packs this year (aged 4-5 years, starting reception class in England). We request that teachers and practitioners please request these books for children by completing the form below.
These interactive books are provided for reception children whose complex needs would impede them from accessing and enjoying picture books like the Booktime titles. In addition, please note that we can only provide one book for each reception child with complex needs, as our stock of materials is limited.
Please do not use this form to order book packs for your class.
Your local authority will help us to coordinate your school's book pack order.